I just learned the most amazing tip for sewing a pillow from Modern Patchwork 2012.
|Hanging Flags by Melissa Lunden in
Modern Patchwork 2012
Whenever I make a pillow, I always get extra-pointy, floppy corners that look like dog ears. It completely baffles me because I started out with a perfect square. Well, there's a neat solution for that. I found this in the Hanging Flags Fusible-Applique Pillow project by Melissa Lunden. Thank you, Melissa, for solving one of life's great mysteries!
1) Measure and cut your pillow rectangle.
2) Mark the center of each side of the pillow.
3) Mark in 1/2" from the sides of each corner of the pillow.
4) Draw a line from each side's center to each corner, so that the pillow now looks like a slightly squished square.
|Create new curved seamlines inside
your pillow rectangle.
5) Trim the pillow along these lines and sew as usual. No more pointy corners!
For more great patchwork projects and tips, check out the thoroughly Modern Patchwork 2012 in the Sew Daily Shop.
|Trim 1/2' from the sides of each corner.|
Do you have a brilliant sewing trick up your sleeve? Share it below!