Last week, I had an ornament-making party with some "I don't sew!" friends, and we created The Fox Says Brr ornament from Stitch Modern Holidays. I blogged about the party and about how quickly they got into the project, staying and sewing until the wee hours
The cockeyed fox!
Well, I also shot a lot of photographs, and I will say one thing: I will never be hostess, sewing teacher, and potographer at one time again. I have three words: Delegate, delegate, delegate.
That said, it was tons of fun and I highly recommend having one yourself. We made this step-by-step video to show how it's done. Take a look, and maybe you'll be inspired to have your own ornament party. Here are my suggestions:
- Make it potluck and enlist friends to help with set up and clean up. There's always someone who is happy to hang in the kitchen and handle food and beverage.
- Assign another friend to do the videography and pictures. You will want a record of this, but the sewing expert needs to focus on being the expert.
- Have a sewing buddy there so that you aren't the only experienced sewist, and ask the buddy to bring a machine. Two is better than one.
- Make several copies of the pattern and instructions, and have multiples of supplies like scissors, thread, and needles. (I didn't have enough embroidery needles!)
- Get your Holiday Ornament Bundle from the Sew Daily Shop for lots of project options!
- After the party, collapse, and congratulate yourself on a job well done!
It was such a hit that I am having an ornament party redux on tomorrow. They just can't get enough of this sewing stuff!