base fabric for pillows

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
gertiep2 wrote
on Jan 8, 2012 4:28 PM

Hi:

I am designing a series of throw pillows with I plan to applique with felts. I do not want a felt base fabric however. I was thinking either hemp or linen but want something fairly heavy weight and tightly woven. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Judy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Feb 10, 2012 9:06 AM

Hemp or linen would provide you a stronger base than the felt or even cotton. Hemp and linen are long fibers, as opposed to felt or cotton which are very short. This is what gives them their strength.

You would not really need the linen or hemp to be too tightly woven, as this would make them stiff and you would want your felt pillows to be soft and supple. Even an open weave hemp or linen would provide you the structure you are looking for without the stiffness.

Good luck with your project. Post some pics when you get them done. I would LOVE to see them!

Dorothy

Dorothy Fagan
Dorothy Fagan Fabric Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 2
gertiep2 wrote
on Feb 10, 2012 9:22 AM

Thanks, Dorothy - I have been finding linens in colors I like so I think I will go that way. This project will no doubt take me all winter but I will post photos when they are done!

best,

judy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Feb 11, 2012 6:10 AM

The colored linens would also make a great textural contrast to your felt! Can't wait to see them!

Dorothy

Dorothy Fagan
Dorothy Fagan Fabric Studio

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 311
AmberStitch wrote
on Mar 26, 2012 5:01 PM

Yes, please post when you are done!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 19
Sewingisme wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 7:02 PM

Really Sometimes I Just use more of a kinda silky fabric sometimes Jean Fabric breaks and rips and sometimes hard to sew so That's what I do and it is very easy LOLL! and i really now that its really not that hard to sew with Jean Fabric and I Just have to Practice and that's what I have to say LOLL!...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 19
Sewingisme wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 7:03 PM

you really made that Fabric its so very nice!...Cool

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS