Add style to your holiday table with the Ornament Tree Place Mats by Jacquie Gering.
The Appliquéd Messenger Bag by Carol Zentgraf features leather and suede appliqués.
Sewing Fabric with Tantilizing Textures
My favorite thing about fall and winter sewing is that it is the perfect time of year to sew with luxurious textured fabrics. I have always been drawn to fabrics with interesting textures and fiber characteristics-from supple leathers and suedes to sweater knits and nubby wool tweeds to luscious velvets and corduroys, and the list goes on and on. There are so many great textured fabrics available, and even if you have never sewn on that particular fabric type before, all you need are a few key sewing tips, the right machine needle, and a little bit of stitching practice to expand your fabric horizons.
With this inspiration in mind, we dedicated the new Winter 2011 issue of Stitch to the theme of texture. As we begin to cozy up for the colder months ahead and look forward to the holidays, what could be better than sewing with gorgeous heavier, textured fabrics that feel good to the touch? Here are some highlights from the new Winter issue to get you motivated to sew:
– Luxe Look-Alikes – Get all thetechniques you need for sewing faux leather and suede like a pro including tips on seaming, cutting, closures, and choosing machine needles, feet, and helpful notions to make sewing these tricky fabrics a breeze.
– Drafting a Custom Skirt – Learn how to drape aclassic straightskirt to your measurements step by step to create a custom pattern. Then sew a tailoredskirt ideal for the office and an embellished version with feather trim perfect for a holiday party from the same basic pattern.
– Fabulous Felt – Discover the fun of sewing with felt, from colorful wool felt fabric to creating felt from recycled sweaters. Makescarves, mittens, bags, home decor, gifts for kids, and more! Plus we give you tips for successful DIY felting of recycled wool garments.
– Sew Deluxe -Sew luxurious projects starring leather and suede, including bags, belts, clothing, and more.
– Modern Holiday – Make fun projects that celebrate the holidays in style, from quick and easy gifts and cozy wearables to contemporary home decor and decorations for festive get-togethers. It's never too early to start your holiday sewing!
– Surface Tension – Elevate a simple project by using artistic fabric manipulation such as trapunto, pleats, pin tucks, exposed seams, smocking, and more, to create unique textured effects.
With 35 fantastic projects that celebrate the creative possibilities and tactile qualities of fabric and stitch, you'll find plenty of ideas to keep you sewing throughout the fall and winter months. So pull out those cozy textured fabrics and let the Stitch Winter 2011 issue inspire you to make something fabulous this season!