I don’t know about you, but I am a big fan of lining. It protects the inside of the garment and decreases wear and tear on the fashion fabric. Plus it just looks better and believe it or not, when you use a breathable like China silk or cotton muslin, it makes the garment cooler or warmer, as needed.
Adding a lining is a relatively simple matter and doesn’t add much to your sewing time. So if your pattern doesn’t include lining instructions or pattern pieces, or you are making your own custom skirt pattern here’s how to add a lining:
1) The lining is an inside replica of the garment. Cut out fashion fabric garment. Cut out the lining pieces from the fashion fabric pattern. Generally, you would cut out the main body pieces and pockets. Skip the waistband, if it is a separate piece, as you don’t need to line it!.
2) Assemble the garment from the fashion fabric per instructions. Attach the waistband, but do not enclose skirt top in waistband. (For a Jil skirt, do not fold the waistband down.) Do not hem garment. Assemble the lining pieces in the same manner as the garment. Do not hem.
3) Turn your skirt inside out. Slide the lining over the skirt, with the wrong side of the lining against the wrong side of the skirt, matching side seams.
4) If your waistband is a separate piece, match the raw edges of the top of the skirt and pin, then baste the two together in the seam allowance area. Enclose the skirt and lining raw edges ( grading seams, if you wish) within the waistband and finish waistband. If, as with the Jil skirts, the waistband is part of the skirt body, baste the lining top edge to the top, unfinished edge of the skirt and finish the waistband per instructions.
5) If your skirt has a zipper, hand-sew the lining zipper opening to the zipper tape.
6) Hem the lining and skirt, making the lining about ½” shorter than the skirt.
7) You have just added a lining to a skirt
More on sewing skirts. “Sewing Skirts Your Way: Learn How to Make a Skirt that Fits You Perfectly,” visit the Sew Daily Shop.Do you have any easy sewing tricks for making your garments a little fancier?
Let us know!
This skirt looks so much more
flattering with a lining added.
The waistband neatly encloses the lining.
Hand-sew the zipper opening in
lining to the zipper tape